Choose a company, not a job position
Most job seekers focus on specific positions when job hunting. Why not choose a company instead? Your new job is much more than a list of required qualifications and duties. The workplace environment, growth opportunities, and team can make a huge difference.
- For a start, make a list of at least ten companies you’d like to work for. As you narrow your search, think of any unique value you can bring to the table for each employer of your choice.
- Check their website and try to use their product or service as a customer. You wouldn’t like to help sell something that isn’t of stellar quality, would you? Besides, your experience with their product will give you an edge in a job interview.
- Finally, look through available job openings from these companies and apply. If there are none, send them a message explaining why they should hire you.
Acquire new skills
Ads by Sammyloaded Media Earn Free Bitcoin Get Insurance Updates Boost Your Social Media Engagement Get Access to Business News Learn the best ways on How to do things
You will never regret spending time and money on enhancing your skillset. Think about what would make you better at your job. For example, if you are a talented marketing manager, improve your career prospects by simply taking Excel classes.
Not sure which skills you’re missing? Look through “nice-to-haves” outlined in job descriptions from reputable companies. Do you tick all the boxes? In fact, you don’t have to. Generally, candidates who meet 75% of the requirements can pass a job interview with flying colours. Extend your knowledge and develop relevant skills by:
- Taking courses
- Attending professional workshops
- Finding a temporary gig to get the experience you need
- Reading tutorials
- Visiting online educational forums, etc.
Some options might cost you a lot. If need be, you should consider taking out a loan. Thankfully, lending platforms such as Get Cash make it possible to get approved for a loan even within the same business day. All one has to do to get approved for a loan is fill out a secure online loan application.
Polish your CV
You need to refresh your CV or even write it from scratch again from time to time. If you find it challenging, consider hiring a professional writer to make your resume stand out from hundreds of applicants.
Critical things to take into account:
- Avoid being seen as an overqualified candidate. If you seem too good to be true, your application will probably be rejected for the fear that you won’t stay there for long. Also, they might think that you’re too desperate.
- Leave some jobs off your CV if they are not relevant to the job you’re applying for.
- Keep it short and well-structured.
Become an industry expert
Build your online reputation as an expert in your field by discussing findings and news with others. Stay updated on the current trends in your industry by following key influencers on social media and setting up Google alerts for a specific sphere. Keep making meaningful connections on LinkedIn, and you will be rewarded for your efforts.
If you lack experience, make yourself available for some volunteer work to get it. You will gain valuable skills, and it will definitely look good on your CV.
Can’t afford to work for free? Create your own website or an Instagram account and promote your services there.
These are practical steps you can take to snag your dream job. It might take a while to improve your job prospects, but it’s well worth it.